Pages

Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

Edgar Allen Poe Reflection

        Before researching Edgar Allen poe I knew a little about him. I knew that he was a poet and short story writer. I knew Poe wrote poems and stories like "The Raven" and "Tell-Tale Heart." I knew a little about Poe's lifestyle too. I knew Poe was a alcoholic and he married a 14 year old girl when he was 27. I didn't really know about when Poe was born and when he died, so I didn't know what major happened when he was alive. I soon learned all this information about Poe when I did my research.

        In my research I learned many more things about Edgar Allen Poe and what happened in the time period he was alive. I learned about his birth born, his death, his relatives, and his jobs. I saw that Edgar Allen Poe was born in Boston on January 19, 1809 and he died on October 7, 1849. I also found that Poe's death was a mystery. There were many theories of his death, but they can't find out which is true. I found that two of Poe's family died of tuberculosis. His mother and his wife were the people that died. Poe had other jobs before being a poet. He was a writer for many magazines and he was enlisted for the U.S. army.

        I feel like that there was three things that contributed to Edgar Allen Poe's writing. When Poe was little his dad left the family and his mom died. I feel like this is one of the reasons why Poe's writing is how it is. In college Poe excelled in all of his classes, but faced poverty. His new father wanted him to be a businessman, but instead Poe chose to be a poet. Poe's decision to be a poet instead of a businessman lead his new father to give Poe less than of the money Poe needed, which led Poe to be poor. When Poe returned to Richmond he visited his fiancee's house. Poe discovered that his fiancee was engaged with another man. I feel like these three reasons were the main cause for Poe's writing style.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection! I don't understand, however, your last paragraph. You mention three things that contribute to Poe's writing, but I don't see the connection. Please explain.

    ReplyDelete