Pages

Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

"Paradox and Dream" Reflection 5/21/15

"Paradox and Dream" Reflection
5/21/15

“We spend our time searching for security, and hate it when we get it.”

        This paradox is saying that people try to get to something or a high rank, but hate it when they get it. This could be with a job promotion. When you get the promotion you might be happy because you get more money, but unhappy because more work. That is why this is a common paradox, it could happen anywhere and anyone. This paradox can happen in school, the workplace, sports, etc.

         I chose this paradox because I’ve seen this in my life, my family, movies, TV shows, etc. In my life it was with baseball. I wanted to make the all-star team, so bad. I played and practiced my best and it paid off, I made it! I was so happy that I made it, but soon hated that I made it. It was too strict and I played in one game for about 5 minutes. It was the worst. I've also seen this in many TV shows. There would be situations where a character wanted something, but hated it when they got it.

"We scramble and scramble up the stony path toward the pot of gold we have taken to mean security. We trample friends, relatives, and strangers who get in the way of our achieving it; and once we get it we shower it on psychoanalyst to try to find out why we are unhappy, and finally –– if we have enough of the gold –– we contribute it back to the nation in the form of foundations and charities."

        This paradox is saying that people will do anything to get what they want, even push aside family is they're in the persons way. This could be with moving up the ranks in a job. They could set family and friends aside and ignore them, just to reach that rank. When they get that rank they might wonder why they have nobody to support or is talking to them anymore making them sad. This paradox might not be as common as the others. Like the other paradox this could happen in school, the workplace, sports, etc.

        I've seen this paradox in various cartoon and TV shows. A character would work on something so much and be delighted when they finished, but they never noticed they shut themselves out from they relatives and friends. I'm have never heard of an experience like this happen in my family or in the real world. I'm sure there has to be experiences of this on the Internet, but yet I never heard of any.


1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about your first paradox reflection. Good job!

    ReplyDelete