Pages

Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Extended Metaphor Poem 3/12/15












"The Sport not Played"
Parody of "The Road not Taken" by Robert Frost
3/15/15

Basketball and baseball diverged on a playing field,
And sorry I could not play both
And be one athlete, long I kneeled
And looked down one as far as it appealed;
To where the fence bent and stopped its growth;

Then picked the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted dare;
Though as for that the playing there
Had dared them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In game no steps had came back.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how game leads on to game,
I doubted if I would ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere months and months hence:
Two sports diverged on a field, And I -
I took the one less played by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment